Saturday, June 12, 2010

Paddling week recap

I am back in Atlanta, getting ready for the US-England World Cup game.  Overall, the trip was great.  Shook off the rust, got a lot of time in the boat, disconnected from things a little bit.


Kayaking is very spiritual for me - I had forgotten what a great metaphor the river is for how to live one's life.  I'll spare you the philosophical musings, but suffice to say that kayaking is an important part of my mental and spiritual health.  I felt good to get back in the water again.

Day five on the river was very good.  I had a few combat rolls, no wet exits, surfed a little bit, and just overall felt much more comfortable on basic maneuvers.

I also wanted to go ahead and post this photo before I left town again.  It is a picture from a 1990 parade in Downtown as part of the 1990 International Raft Rally/ Project RAFT event.  The event was apparently organized by Russian and American rafters to promote peace between the nations.   There was a raft event at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, and a parade in Atlanta.  I love that you can see the construction of the 191 tower in the back.  Sorry for the picture quality - I had to take a picture of the framed picture.

5 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.