Tuesday, November 17, 2009

NPU F decision on BeltLine a disappointment

I actually hesitated before writing about NPU F's rejection of the NE Beltline plan.  I have not been involved with all the discussion and meetings, and I think the NPU process is a net positive for the city as a whole.

I have previously commented on the plan, so I won't belabor the point.  Suffice it to say that I find the neighborhood's reaction extremely disappointing and short-sighted.  I think it is an excellent example of why NPUs only have advisory power - the city council (either this one or the newly elected one) should realize that it is in the City's best interest to direct responsible growth at this intersection and elsewhere. 

4 comments:

  1. 99-7? Who were those 7. I need some help though. What kind BeltLine "transit" can get across the narrow Ponce, and North Avenue, Ralph McGill bridges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the wrong person to ask, although I presume that a new bridge would be in order if the present ones are too small/old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you go to the meeting? It's too bad more people like you didn't voice your opinion. This city seems to be run by a bunch of 'squeeky wheels' and the rest of us just let them. I went to one of the planning meetings where this sweet woman stood up and said she wanted density and transit like the plan proposed, and the rest of the room turned on her like voltures. It was not pretty. I felt so bad for her because she was just expressing her opinion, you know, democracy and all. But because she was so outnumbered, the rest of the attendees thought it was ok to bully her. I think that if more people who share your opinion were to attend these meetings and have their voice heard, we might actually see Atlanta develop into a real CITY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I unfortunately had class that evening, like with almost everything.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.