Tuesday, October 27, 2009

More from Saporta on GDOT's ineptitude on transit

Maria Saporta reports on how Washington is viewing GDOT's actions.  They are unimpressed:
Just last month, U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood came to Atlanta to deliver the message for transit in person. Get your act together , he told Georgia officials...
“They were already aware that we were demoting the Intermodal Division,” Stoner said. “They said, ‘Obviously Secretary LaHood’s message did not get through.’”
Stoner’s contacts in Washington, D.C. even jokingly asked him if there were anything more Georgia could do to hurt its ability to get federal transportation dollars. (Don’t tempt them).
Yup.  Sounds about right for this state.

The state of transportation in this state almost makes me want to cry.  Not just because the state is moving backwards or because GDOT is comically inept.  It is because I have zero faith that this will change any time soon.  As far as I know, none of the major GOP candidates for Governor would be any better on these issues than Perdue has been.  I wish Sam Olens were running, I would vote in the GOP primary.  (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

Can anyone give me a single reason why the next Governor, who will almost certainly be a Republican, will be any different than Perdue?

This sort of stuff is why the metro area needs its own source of transit funding and its own process to allocate that money. 

2 comments:

  1. Not spending on Lovejoy is a big plus in my opinion. I may not understand, but this just doesn't seem like great idea to me. $87M somewhere else? Maybe. I'm weary of folks waving it around. It's like a strawman: an appropriation that nobody believed would ever be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you going to post your pick for mayor?!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.