Tuesday, June 9, 2009

New DOT commish will probably suck

I am catching up after taking a bit of a break, so this news is a week or two old. Maria Saporta reported that Vance Smith is the most likely person to become a new DOT commissioner. That'd be a big disappointment, but not much of a surprise.

I generally see Vance Smith as part of the problem - he is from rural Georgia and owns a construction and earth grading business. I haven't been able to verify if the earth moving business means "road building," since the only number I can find for the company is disconnected. It is possible, however. He was also a big player the House's gutting of Perdue's DOT restructuring that I was ultimately not a fan of.

As chair of the House Transportation Committee he's largely responsible for what gets through that committee, which is to say not much that is worthwhile. I was pleased when Gina Evans nee Abraham was named commissioner instead of Smith. I suspect that Smith will simply continue DOT's history of politically motivated decision making, although I have been wrong before.

2 comments:

  1. well let's see what will happen, i hope he do good with the position he have..
    ______________
    commercial real estate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben,
    Thanks for your help this morning.

    Here's the post I was working on:

    http://atlantaunsheltered.com/2009/06/11/construction-starts-on-green-building-in-se-atlanta/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.