Saturday, May 30, 2009

Visit to Serenbe


My girlfriend Kari and I took a trip out to Serenbe, in Chattahoochee Hill Country, about 45 minutes south of downtown Atlanta. Meandering through the "Hamlet," which has a small town center, we were impressed and surprised.

The development has great character, and is taking shape nicely. Some might complain that the architecture is a bit pastiche, with many styles borrowed from the turn of the century: Tudor, Victorian, and Georgia. However, there is also quite a bit of good modern architecture. Although the economic malaise has certainly taken its toll on the project, there are still some neat shops. I thought Ecomeme had a very innovative line of products, and is
worth stopping by to check out.


We had lunch at Blue Eyed Daisy. The food was inexpensive and quite good. I had the tuna wrap and Kari had the curry chicken salad sandwich. Also, the house baked chocolate chip cookie was awesome.

The cafe is housed in a building that achieved a LEED-NC Silver rating in 2006, but looks like it is over 100 years old.

I'd highly recommend a day trip to Serenbe to anyone looking for a quick getaway from the city.

Stop by the sales center and pick up a map, then check out the trails, notably the one that connects the Hamlet to the Inn at Serenbe.

I'm certain that as the project expands, it will increasingly draw people to come visit, growing the town's amenities and shops. The next phase calls for an expansion of the town center and more residential.

Serenbe is one of three hamlets proposed for this massive area of preserved land. The Chattahoochee Hill Country is over 65,000 acres, of wich 80% will be preserved as farmland. This is a much more European model of development, and I'm glad to see these ideas being implemented in metro Atlanta. Take a drive down South Fulton Parkway, and you'll notice the difference. Instead of strip mall after strip mall, there is something new happening.



3 comments:

  1. It would be a pleasant shock for most Atlantans to visit down there, not just Serenbe but the countryside. The gentry has been going north of Atlanta for so long.

    You make me think: Going to smallish or rural new urban places - Glenwood Park, Serenbe - make me feel like an unwelcome invader in someone else's neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that latter comment very interesting, because most conventional subdivisions make it very clear that you are in "private space."

    New urbanist communities are supposed to give the streets and parks back to the public.. but I think that two things happen: 1.) We have become so conditioned to neighborhood amenities being privatized (which used to not be the case) and 2.) The new urbanist neighborhoods feel so different from their surroundings, that people aren't sure what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, friends of "Terminal Station"!

    My name is Mateus and I'm a brazilian guy from São Paulo. Because of the similarity of our blogs (my blog is called "Estação Querida", which means like "Dear Station"), I find this "Terminal Station" on Google and liked it. By the way, after reading this text, I'd like to visit that nice place, Serenbe. I'm making a link to your blog, and I intend to read your texts regularly. I'm affraid you won't understand any words at "Estação Querida", but it will be a pleasure receive you there anyway.

    Big hug from Brazil!

    (I'm sorry for the errors)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.