Thursday, March 26, 2009

CCHR panel not idiots, choose design I liked

Surely to avoid the heaping scorn this blog would have dished out had they chosen any other design, the Center for Civil and Human Rights has chosen the Freelon/HOK team as their design team.

Here is what I had to say previously about the design:
If I had to choose one group right now, I'd probably go with the Freelon / HOK design. I think the interlocking pieces addresses a key problem/opportunity with the site, which is that the design has to address both Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd., Centennial Olympic Park Drive, and the interior plaza going toward the Coke museum and the park. Most of the other designs focused too much on the park entrance, which is already a problem on Ivan Allen because the Aquarium did the same thing. The Freelon / HOK design addresses the challenge by giving the CCHR two public faces.

Also, I find the terracotta more inviting and more appropriate for the subject matter. I can't say exactly why, but I feel that a civil rights museum should have a warmer, more humane facade. Glass, steel, and marble can feel sterile and disconnected at times.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for saying we're not idiots! In addition to being great designers, the Freelon and HOK team are both deeply passionate about the subject, which enhances their position so much. We're excited to work with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thought you might be interested in this piece:

    http://www.alisias.com/templates/gonso_greensheet.cfm?editionid=85&storyid=306&id=0

    Hope the link works. If not, I can email it to you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.