Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'm a broken record

I can't tell you how much I love seeing this sort of thing in the news:
A knife-wielding homeless man was shot in Woodruff Park Tuesday morning by MARTA police officers who had pursued him out of the nearby Five Points station, police said.
I was actually walking past the park not long after this happened, and all of Peachtree Street in front of the park was closed off and there were little orange cones on the sidewalk where I presume the guy was shot.

Whenever I see an article like this, I'm tempted not to post it because I don't want to perpetuate the stereotype that downtown is super dangerous or something. I rarely feel threatened or unsafe downtown, and I'm there regularly past 10pm. But ignoring this sort of stuff doesn't help anyone.

Otherwise, I think this event pretty much speaks for itself. It's not like everyone isn't aware there is an issue. Regardless of how you feel about homeless, I think we can all agree that it is a problem downtown and that we need more services to help get them off the street. I also happen to believe that enforcement is part of the solution, albeit only part.

When you add this to the guy in Midtown a while back, you have to get the feeling that the situation is boiling over. I'll repeat my call for mayoral candidates to offer solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.