Thursday, September 18, 2008

More benefits of dense living

While I'm on the subject of transit, I wanted to reference a post from Matthew Yglesias highlighting the benefits of living in transit-friendly areas. The post is basically the following graph showing that people living in transit friendly areas spend less on housing and transportation combined:
I have discussed this previously with the Affordability Index map, which showed geographically for Atlanta what these graphs show. I feel like I've seen the above pie charts previously, but I can't remember where.

All this talk of density reminds me of an exchange with a class mate yesterday. He lives in Cobb County (I think), and came into town to meet with me for a class project. He was pretty surprised by the density of Virginia-Highlands. He asked me, "How do you live here??"

I forget sometimes how foreign my way of life must be to some folks.

2 comments:

  1. btw, it's 'Virginia-Highland.' Singular. It's named for the intersection of the two streets, not because it's on high ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I can't believe I have been mispronouncing the name of the neighborhood I was born in and have lived in for most of my life. How horribly embarrassing to have repeated this glaring and offensive error for decades.

    And thank you for the history lesson! I was completely unaware of the neighborhood's history.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.