Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I didn't see this coming

I'm pretty flabbergasted by the new Rasmussen poll showing Jim Martin only 6 points down from Saxby Chambliss. I've never considered Martin a serious candidate against Chambliss - I don't think he projects a tough enough image to win, and I think he's too easy to paint as a "liberal from Atlanta".

I mean, he's liberal - you aren't going to read any stories about Southern Dems tacking to the right, like with Jim Webb or Heath Shuler. Jim's actually just a mainstream Democrat, which means he is a lot more liberal than the types of folks Dems usually nominate for statewide offices (Mark Taylor, Roy Barnes, Sam Nunn. Heck, we elected Zell Miller numerous times). And, y'know, he represented Atlanta in the state House for 18 years or something. He is a liberal from Atlanta. Mind you, I don't think this is a bad thing, but how is he supposed to win in Georgia?

I still don't think this race will be close, but so far it isn't panning out like I thought it would. I knew Saxby was weak, but I didn't think Martin was the right guy to challenge him. Let's see if Martin can keep gaining. I'd love to eat my words, but I still think the fundamentals of Georgia politics are too much for Martin to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.