Wednesday, July 9, 2008

BeltLine Update

There are several BeltLine related news items today, so I thought I'd just lump them all together.
  • The AJC reports on several properties with redevelopment plans in the works. Tishman Speyer, through its Archstone apartment company, will redevelop 903 Huff Road on the west side. Brand Properties has some plans for the Atlanta Dairies property on Memorial Ave.
    Plans for the dairy plant call for 345 residential units, 32,500 square feet of office space, 30,000 square feet of retail and 46,000 square feet for what the developers hope will be a grocery store.
    I don't know much about Brand Properties, although I am a little familiar with their Buford Village project. I don't think they are very big, and this looks to be their first in-town project. If they can pull it off, I don't have high expectations. I hope I'm wrong, of course. That area could use a grocery store, though, and could probably support one at this point. When I lived in Grant Park, I had to either drive down to the "new Kroger" at Confederate and Moreland or to the Kroger at Edgewood Retail. Neither was very convenient.

    Tishman Speyer and Archstone are probably a much better bet to a) actually build something; and b) build something decent. One of my favorite developments in town is 1016 Lofts, an Archstone owned property built by Wood Partners.

  • The AJC finally caught up to Thomas Wheatley and is reporting on the massive amount of money the ADA owes Wayne Mason. The article is also a good run-down of how difficult the BeltLine is, politically and financially, to pull off. I still think the timetable for the BeltLine is absurdly long - the sooner this thing happens, the better. Paging John Lewis and some federal earmarks!

  • There is a BeltLine quarterly update Thursday, July 10, from 6-8 p.m. at Atlanta Public Schools Auditorium, 130 Trinity Ave. I can't make it, but I am putting it on the calendar on the side bar.

    h/t IN The Loop.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I also like the mention of the population boom in the other post. It's very good news for people like me who are moving to the city (in fact, Grant Park).

    The timetable you mention for the Beltline -- is that the quarter century mentioned in the AJC article? That is a very long time.

    I really wonder about the wisdom of building more condos. I think certain parts of the city are saturated with condo projects. What happens when all of these units sit idle for months, or maybe years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the BeltLine has a 25 years horizon. I'm afraid that by the time the thing is built, it will be too late. We need the transit NOW. In 25 years, people will have either found other ways to get around the city, or they won't be moving here any more.

    In terms of condos - as you mentioned the number of people moving in town, the long-term picture is still favorable for multi-family housing (condos and apartments). Not all of those people can or want to live in single family homes. So while things are over-saturated right now, that may not be the case in five years.

    In the mean time, those units sitting idle brings property values down for the other residents. See my posts on Tribute Lofts for more on this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.